BBC Worldwide Showcase 2016
Hawthorn once again supported BBC Worldwide to showcase its premium programmes to international television buyers, including the all-new Top Gear.
For the 10th year, Hawthorn was chosen to work with the in-house production team and their group of trusted suppliers to deliver the annual trade event, BBC Worldwide Showcase, evening events. Taking place on 22-23 February at ACC Liverpool, the events featured two impressive gala dinners, designed to wow invited guests with the very best in British TV creativity. Led by the BBC Worldwide team, Hawthorn Director, Peter Harding helped to create a stunning production design for the events, delivering a truly immersive experience.
Showcasing the best of BBC talent and never before seen entertainment, the launch of the new look Top Gear took was the highlight of the highly anticipated Monday evening. Working closely with renowned Lighting Designer Russell Grubiak to create a visually exciting experience, Hawthorn installed a 3.9mm 8m x 2.5m LED wall behind the main stage in the arena that opened on rolling risers to reveal the various big name hosts. This then became the stunning backdrop to the main stage, enabling the team to include some amazing big screen content.
Other key technical features used for this annual spectacular from Hawthorn’s extensive box of technical toys included:
- The use of a recent addition to the Hawthorn portfolio, a Barco E2, that provided all the switching from the various sources to the multiple screens.
- The latest d&b audio system controlled via a Dante network from 9 audio desks, which gave the team the flexibility they needed to ensure audio perfection; controlling sound distribution for the various acts throughout the venue.
- Kinesys, which was used for flying a 17m catwalk in and out of the main performance area, together with facilitating reveals for various performances during the evening.
- 45 x Mac Viper spots were used to light the main show.
- 30 x Custom Manufactured Led striplights were created to outline the arena floor for the Top Gear show.
A flurry of overnight activity saw the teams transform the ACC Liverpool arena into The RedRum Club, creating an immersive supper club experience. Welcoming approximately 700 dinner guests, the Club set the scene for a celebration of the Corporation’s best crime dramas and its stars.
OUR CLIENT SAID
“BBC Worldwide is celebrating the success of another spectacular BBC Worldwide Showcase. All our trusted suppliers work tremendously hard to help deliver these superb productions and it’s fantastic to be able to call on technical experts like Hawthorn, to help deliver the world class events our audience expects.”
Sally Brookes, Head of Global Events for BBC Worldwide