Hawthorn deliver technical installation for Kiln Theatre
A stunning multi-million refurbishment project to transform and futureproof iconic London theatre Kiln Theatre was completed in September 2018, and Hawthorn’s Install’s team was on hand to help rejuvenate the venue’s technical capabilities.
Kiln Theatre on London’s Kilburn High Road (previously known as Tricycle Theatre) has been a centre for diverse, world class productions since the 1980s. Relaunched last autumn, the site-wide renovation aimed to enrich the audience experience with an upgraded performance space and improved accessibility.
With the venue redesign created by Chapman Architects and construction project led by ME Construction, Hawthorn was awarded the contract for the supply and installation of video, communications and lighting equipment into the venue’s auditorium and café spaces, working to a design intent created by Charcoal Blue.
With the creation of a new permanent control room at the rear of the theatre which leads onto a dedicated technical level from which equipment can be rigged and focused, Hawthorn supplied and installed custom-designed facilities panels and racks to support the requirements of the new lighting and AV equipment within the space.
- Supplied and programmed the ETC Paradigm control for new GDS ArcSystem houselighting and worklights.
- Delivered a new technical infrastructure providing control distribution via a mix of DMX and network tielines as well as dimmer outlets distributed throughout the building.
- Supplied and commissioned 124 channels of ETC Sensor ThruPower dimmers
- A new building-wide customer paging and show relay system was designed and built by Hawthorn’s in-house team, as well as a wired ring intercom, provided along with a comprehensive wiring infrastructure for audio, video, loudspeaker, cue lights and Ethernet including fibre links to the cinema.
- Supplied a GDS Stage Management Console which can be situated DSL, DSR, 2 positions in the control room, production desk FoH, or in an accessible DSM position to stalls auditorium right.
- Supplied and installed a Sennheiser infra-red system for assisted listening / audio description, as well as an induction loop on all three levels
Nicki Brown, Head of Production at Kiln Theatre, said: “Hawthorn have delivered a flexible installation that will enable our theatre-makers to further push the boundaries of our productions. Our mission is to create internationally renowned, high-quality, engaging and innovative work which presents the world through a variety of different lenses; the new technical infrastructure is enabling us to achieve this. The Hawthorn team’s expertise and professional and practical approach to this complex project has been fantastic.”
Hawthorn’s Installation Manager, Lydia Hawthorn said: “This was a really exciting project for the Hawthorn team to be involved with. We’re extremely proud to have been part of such an impactful transformation programme and to have supported a technical installation that truly creates new possibilities for theatre-makers and new experiences for theatre-goers. We’re delighted to have been involved and thrilled to have played a part in supporting the theatre’s evolution and helped to create exciting performance spaces for generations to come.”